U.S. Citizen Services

All Consular Services at Embassy Sanaa are suspended until further notice

Updated February 24, 2015

Notice: the U.S. Department of State has designated the U.S. Embassies in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Cairo, Egypt to handle American Citizens Services cases emanating out of Yemen.

Notice to all U.S. Citizens residing in or Traveling to Yemen

Embassy Sanaa has suspended consular operations in Yemen.  If you are a U.S. citizen residing in or traveling to Yemen, the Embassy may be unable to provide assistance or services to you, even if an emergency situation arises.  If you must travel to or remain in Yemen, please register with the State Department’s online Smart Traveler Enrollment Program as soon as possible. This will allow Embassy Sanaa to communicate travel alerts and Emergency Messages to you, should the need arise.

Please make sure that you have informed the Department of State of U.S. citizens located in Yemen by visiting https://tfa.state.gov/ccd, selecting “2015 Yemen Unrest,” and providing as much information as possible.

You can also contact us at 1-888-407-4747 (From the U.S. & Canada), +1-202-501-4444 (From Overseas), and YemenEmergencyUSC@state.gov if you have additional questions or concerns.

If you are unable to provide information via the link above, please respond to this email with the following information:

About the U.S. citizen (s):

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Last known location (please be as specific as possible)
  • Number of accompanying family members who are not U.S. citizens
  • Any available contact information
  • Any other information you think would be helpful in locating the U.S. citizen

About you (if you are writing about yourself, please just indicate “self”):

  • Your full name
  • Your contact information
  • Your relationship to the person about whom you are writing (e.g., spouse, parent, child, friend, employer, etc.)

While U.S. citizens remain in Yemen, we recommend that they enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program – STEP.  STEP enables enrollees to receive any updates to Yemen messaging that the Department of State might send.

Before traveling to Yemen – or while residing in Yemen – please be sure to review Embassy Sanaa’s Recent Messages to U.S. Citizens.  Embassy Sanaa’s latest Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens was released on January 26, 2015. To receive future Embassy Sanaa messages, please register your travel to Yemen with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Please call (967) 1 755-2000 (during regular office hours) or (967) 1 755-2170 (after hours) if you are the victim of a violent crime, have been arrested by the Yemeni authorities, require immediate repatriation to the United States, have been kidnapped, or are confronted with a life-threatening emergency.

If you require non-emergency assistance, such as recovery of a passport confiscated by local airport authorities – or if local authorities are refusing to provide/honor an “exit visa” – please call us during normal business hours, or email us at SanaaACS@state.gov.  Be sure to provide your full name, U.S. passport number, and Yemeni telephone number(s) in the email.

Do not contact the above numbers, and do not email SanaaACS@state.gov, for any visa-related inquiries.

WARNING: Due to severe security restrictions on movements within Yemen, U.S. Embassy Sanaa is unable to provide direct or immediate assistance to U.S. citizens outside of the capital city. Even within the capital, our ability to move is extremely limited.

As of September 12, 2014, fees for common ACS services are charged as follows:

U.S. Passport Book, Adults Age 16 & Older – First-Time (DS-11):   $135
U.S. Passport Book, Adults Age 16 & Older – Renewal (DS-82): $110
U.S. Passport Book, Minors Under Age 16: $105
Additional Visa Pages: $82
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA): $100
Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA): Free
Additional Photocopies (per copy): $1

WARNING:The U.S. Embassy neither operates nor certifies any “off-site” fee collection agents or offices anywhere in the United States or Yemen.  No offices in Yemen maintain any official or professional affiliation with the U.S. Embassy whatsoever. Visa, passport, and other consular fees may only be collected by the U.S. Embassy’s official cashier, who is located inside the Embassy itself.  No ACS applications may be filed or executed at any satellite office; all applications must be executed at the U.S. Embassy itself. Any outside entity claiming to be a U.S. Embassy agent, affiliate, assistant, associate, collector, or partner is an imposter. If you encounter any outside entity claiming to serve as a U.S. Embassy partner office, please report this to us at SanaaACS@state.gov as soon as possible.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of U.S. citizenship, equivalent to a U.S birth certificate.  A CRBA is issued to a child under the age of 18 born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) who meets the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

U.S. Embassy Sanaa is accepting CRBA applications for children born in Yemen to a U.S citizen parent(s). Please consult the State Department’s Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad and Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship webpages in order to determine if your child is eligible to apply for a CRBA.

If you believe you meet U.S. citizenship transmission requirements and that your child is CRBA-eligible, please schedule an interview via Embassy Sanaa’s Online ACS Appointment System. The applicant (your child) must appear in person. At least one of the child’s parents should also appear in person – preferably the U.S. citizen parent, if possible.

Please prepare the following documents/evidence for your CRBA interview:

  • A completed, but not signed, DS-2029 CRBA Application.
  • A completed Affidavit of Residence & Paternity/Maternity.
  • A completed, but not signed, DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport.
  • A completed and notarized DS-3053 Passport Issuance Consent Form from each/any parent not physically present to sign the child’s DS-11.
  • An original birth certificate and a photocopy, with English translation.
  • A certificate of marriage between the child’s parents, as well as a photocopy, with English translation.
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages between either parent, such as original death or divorce certificates, with photocopies and English translations.
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship of the transmitting U.S. citizen parent(s), ideally a U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization/citizenship, a prior CRBA, and/or a U.S. passport, with photocopies of all documents submitted.
  • A valid, government-issued photo ID for the non-U.S. citizen parent, with photocopy and English translation.
  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent(s) physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth (such proof may consist of old passport/visa stamps, school records, social security earning statements, tax records, property deeds/titles, etc.); please provide photocopies of all documents submitted.
  • Completed SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card.

NOTE: Please bring at least one (1) photocopy of all original documents submitted (excluding the application forms); failure to bring photocopies may result in processing delays and/or additional charges.

NOTE: Due to shipping delays between the United States and Yemen, CRBAs and U.S. passports may take one (1) month to arrive in Yemen from the date that your application is approved at Embassy Sanaa.

All applicants are encouraged to complete their own application forms; parents or guardians may complete forms for their minor children. While “translation services” are available throughout Yemen, the quality and prices of these services vary. Moreover, these offices commonly provide incorrect or inappropriate legal advice. The Embassy does not endorse any translation services or offices, either in the United States or Yemen, and cannot advise applicants on the use of such translation services.

All applicants are responsible for the information contained in their applications. Parents/guardians are responsible for answers provided on behalf of their minor children. Providing false or misleading answers may subject your CRBA or passport application to delay or denial.

If the U.S. citizen parent does not meet INA transmission requirements, but the child has a U.S. citizen grandparent who does have the requisite physical presence, the child may be eligible for Expeditious Naturalization under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.  Through this procedure, a child under 18 years of age can become a U.S. citizen via naturalization without having to take up residence in the United States beforehand. However, Expeditious Naturalization cannot be executed at the U.S. Embassy; the child must travel to the United States, and would require a Non-Immigrant Visa for this purpose.  An N600 application (and supporting documentation) must be filed with the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) before the child applies for his/her U.S. visa. Please see our Non-Immigrant Visa webpage for more information.

U.S. Embassy Sanaa is offering the full range of passport services. Please consult the State Department’s online “Passport Wizard” for a complete tutorial on U.S. passports, as well as an explanation of which forms are required in which situations/circumstances, including passports for minors and the replacement of expired, lost, stolen, or mutilated passports. Once you have completed all of the required forms, please schedule a passport appointment through U.S. Embassy Sanaa’s Online ACS Appointment System.

If your passport has been wrongfully confiscated by an employer, relative, or local government official; or if you have been the victim of a crime and urgently require a new passport in order to return to the United States, please email us at ACSSanaa@state.gov.

If you have a valid, unexpired, full-validity passport that has not been damaged or mutilated, we may be able to insert additional visa pages. Please complete the DS-4085 Application for Additional Visa Pages, then schedule an appointment through our Online ACS Appointment System. If you are a minor under the age of 16, you will need one parent to counter-sign your DS-4085 application.

If you are over 18 years of age and born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s), your U.S. citizen mother and/or father may be able to transmit citizenship to you, if he/she meets the INA transmission requirements.  Please consult the State Department’s Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad and Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship webpages in order to determine if you are eligible to apply for a U.S. passport as the foreign-born adult son/daughter of a U.S. citizen parent.  If you believe that you are eligible to acquire U.S. citizenship through a U.S. citizen parent(s), please follow the instructions above to apply for a U.S. passport.

In addition to a U.S. passport application form, you will also need to submit evidence demonstrating all of the following: 1) that you are the biological son/daughter of your U.S. citizen parent(s); 2) that your U.S. citizen parent(s) became a U.S. citizen(s) before your birth; 3) that your U.S. citizen parent(s) meets the physical presence requirements based on your date-of-birth; and 4) the marital status of your parents on the date of your birth.

U.S. Consular Officers can notarize certain documents for legal use in the United States and abroad.  Please review the State Department’s latest guidance on Notarial & Authentication Services of U.S. Consular Officers Abroad. If you determine, based on these guidelines, that a U.S. Consular Officer can satisfy your needs, then please schedule an appointment for a notarial service through our Online ACS Appointment System.

Due to security restrictions, U.S. Embassy Sanaa is able to offer limited assistance in the unfortunate event that a U.S. citizen dies in Yemen. One service that we can provide is a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA), which may be necessary for next-of-kin to transfer or assume ownership of the U.S.-based assets or estate(s) of a deceased American. For more information, please consult the State Department’s Consular Report of Death Abroad webpage. If you are next-of-kin or the immediate relative of a deceased U.S. citizen and you need to execute a CRDA, please schedule an appointment through our Online ACS Appointment System. You will need to present proof of the deceased relative’s U.S. citizenship, a local Yemeni death certificate, and an explanation of the cause of death.

The 2009 Military & Overseas Voter Empowerment (MOVE) Act requires states to electronically forward election ballots to registered voters living abroad.  To take advantage of the MOVE Act, each U.S. citizen wishing to vote overseas must complete and submit a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).  For more information about overseas voting, please consult the State Department’s Absentee Voting Information for U.S. Citizens Abroad.

U.S. Embassy Sanaa supports U.S. citizen absentee voters in Yemen by helping them complete FPCAs, mailing ballots and/or ballot requests, and/or completing Federal Write-In Absentee Ballots (FWAB) in the event that an electronic ballot fails to transmit. If you require such assistance, please email us at VoteSanaa@state.gov.

NOTE: Due to the security situation in Yemen, Embassy Sanaa is operating on minimal staffing. The provision of voting assistance is subject to resource and staffing availability.