The Public Affairs Section of the United States Embassy to Yemen is pleased to announce the FULBRIGHT FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHING ASSISTANT PROGRAM (FLTA) for the year 2024 – 2025.
The Fulbright FLTA Program is a nine-month, non-degree program for English teachers or professionals in related fields to teach their native language in an American college or university.
The Fulbright FLTA participants will have the opportunity to spend one academic year to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency, and extend their knowledge of the society and culture of the United States while serving as teaching assistants for their native language to U.S. students and strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities. Fulbright FLTA participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects.
Requirements & Eligibility
- Must be a citizen of Yemen and reside in Yemen throughout the application, nomination, and selection process;
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree by June 2024 with a good academic record;
- Are an early career teacher of English or training to become a teacher of English, or are an early career educator in a related field; prior teaching experience is preferred;
- Have a sincere interest in teaching Arabic language and Yemeni culture to students in the U.S.;
- Are fluent in English, as demonstrated by a recent score of no less than 550 (Paper Based TOEFL), 79-80 (Internet Based TOEFL – IBT), or 6.0 (Overall Score International English Language Testing System – IELTS); TOEFL scores are not required at the time of application but are preferred, if possible;
- Are able to work creatively and be self-reliant while being willing to work cooperatively as part of a team with faculty, staff, and students;
- Are flexible and have the willingness to learn;
- Are adaptable to living in rural or urban areas;
- Clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity, and professionalism;
- Do not hold U.S. citizenship; dual citizens are not eligible for the program participation;
- The Fulbright FLTA program does not support dependents or family members.
Applicants MUST complete the online application no later than May 15, 2023, at: https://apply.iie.org/flta2024
Please refer to the Instructions for Completing the 2024-2025 Fulbright FLTA Program Application here (FLTA 2024-2025 Online Application Instructions) and the Application Checklist here (2024- 2025 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program Application Checklist).
For more information on the FLTA program visit the following website: http://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/fulbright-flta